The mission of the Laurel Church of Christ is to be Christ’s body, making a positive, eternal difference in the lives of all who come our way and all to whom we are sent.
In 2011, Laurel Church of Christ celebrated 100 years as a congregation. Begun through the efforts of four people, Laurel has grown to about 500 members. The first full-time preacher was E.C. Holt. Before members hired Holt, university students filled the preaching duties.
In 1928, members purchased a building from the Church of Christian Scientists at the corner of Laurel Avenue and 17th Street near the University of Tennessee campus and chose the name Laurel Avenue Church of Christ. When the church grew and moved to its present location on Kingston Pike in May 1968, members changed the name to simply Laurel Church of Christ. The family at Laurel stayed committed to the UT campus despite moving away from it and began the Christian Student Center in 1955. The CSC moved to its present location at 1821 Melrose Avenue in 1963.